Friday, March 14, 2014

The Arnold Blueprint


   Normally, I create my own workout programs. Doing this is something that I enjoy, and it usually works because I know what kind of exercises and rep schemes my body normally responds best to. However, two weeks ago, I decided to take a chance.

   Currently, I am in a bulking (gaining muscle mass at the expense of gaining some body fat) state. I would like to gain around 10-15 pounds to my frame (currently 152.5 pounds) before I decide to cut weight in preparation for my first bodybuilding show. Besides increasing the amount of calories I consume daily, I wanted to follow a program that really shocked the body. Luckily, Bodybuilding.com released the "Arnold Blueprint" a few weeks ago, which was exactly the type of program I was looking for.

   Arnold Schwarzenegger is my bodybuilding hero. He is who I have idolized since I got into the sport, so following this program step by step would be a breeze. However, the workouts I have completed so far, have been anything but a breeze.

   Arnold's Blueprint is an eight-week program that includes six-workouts per week with the split being: chest/back on Monday/Thursday, shoulders/arms on Tuesday/Friday and legs on Wednesday/Saturday. Abs are trained at the end of each workout. I LOVE this program for several reasons.

1. The Blueprint emphasizes hypertrophy (muscle growth) through performing four to five sets per exercise with a 45-second rest period in between sets. However, at the same time, strength is a priority as well as the reps are decreased as you complete more sets. Being a bodybuilder, stressing both strength and hypertrophy are important, because think about it; by increasing the maximum amount of weight you can lift in a given exercise (strength), lighter weight in the same exercise should be able to be lifted for more reps (hypertrophy). Thus, great gains should always be made in a program such as this.

2. Simple, but effective exercises are the center of this blueprint. Compound exercises have been known to lead to the biggest gains, and these types of movements are stressed in this program. Although some exercises change as one progresses through the program, the "core" exercises like the barbell squat, bench press, barbell curl, and dead-lift remain the same. I see myself lifting more than ever for all four of these exercise because of the fact that Olympic lifts such as the push-press and clean and press are utilized in this program as well. I normally do not perform Olympic Lifts, but I feel like these full-body movements have really allowed my body to grow, while also being able to take on heavier weight for the core-exercises.

3. The gains are real. Although it is not much, in the last two weeks, I have gained 2.5 pounds! I was really happy with this, because normally it would take me at least a month to gain that kind of weight. Not only have I gained a few pounds from this Blueprint, but I have also increased my 3-RM bench from 185 to 200. This especially makes me excited, because I hope to compete in a few power-lifting competitions this summer.

This program has received a lot of buzz in the past few weeks, and it is much deserved. This high-volume Blueprint is incredible, and will lead to some great results, if you consistently work hard! Give this program's first week a try. You might be sore at the end of it, but trust me, "you'll be back."
   

No comments:

Post a Comment