Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Quest for a Clean Squat

I can't say this enough lately...form over weight.

I have really been working on my form lately. Specifically, I have been working on trying to stay more upright during the movement, as well as keeping my back and abs tight through each rep.

Despite completing a set of 12 reps today at 165 (extremely light from what I have done in the past month), my form still looks UGLY!

After a conversation with one of my 50 and plus year-old friends following that set (I'm 22, but I have grandpa swag), we decided that I was still lifting too much weight. Hearing that was an ego killer, but I knew he was right. Below is a video of a 12-rep set of 135lbs. I really concentrated on pushing up with my quads, as well being controlled throughout the set. It still may look like I appear to slightly fall forward, but I actually could feel my abs contracting during the set for the first time in who knows how long. Thus, I was content with this set, but believe me, I still need work.


It's hard seeing people your age squat 400lbs+, while you're still struggling to keep proper form at 135lbs. But in the end, it's about focusing on bettering YOU, rather than being better than the people surrounding you. And through really concentrating on using my legs and abs during this movement, I plan on doing just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment